“Kearney is known as the best place in Nebraska to view the annual spring sandhill crane migration”–Travel Awaits
“The theater opened on Sept. 21, 1914, as the Empress Theatre. Its main floor and the balcony seated 654. Admission was 5 cents, 10 cents or 15 cents, depending on location. The theater burned down in 1940.
In 1941, it was rebuilt and named The Fort Theatre. Seating was reduced to 450 with new “love seats” at the ends of every other row that allowed two people to sit together. The theater closed in September 1993 and became Pony’s Bar for about 14 months.”
Postmarked September 7, 1953:
“The building now houses Fort Theatre Dentistry. The marquee was adapted and is still lit at night.
On the above marquee:
The Black Book (1949)
Yes Sir, Mr. Bones (1951))
Postcards part of the Theatre Talks Collection, please ask permission to copy and/or use. At least give credit to source. We know that some people will not honor this but it would be nice if they did.
Since 1997 theatre historian, Cezar Del Valle, has conducted a popular series of theatre talks and walks, available for historical societies, libraries, senior centers, etc.
Private walks also available.
Del Valle is the author of the Brooklyn Theatre Index, a three-volume history of borough theatres.
The first two chosen 2010 OUTSTANDING BOOK OF THE YEAR by the Theatre Historical Society. Final volume published in September 2014.
Currently seeking funding for “Editing & Formatting” the first three volumes of the Brooklyn Theatre Index, 3rd Edition